Monday, March 14, 2016

Election Tommorow

My state's primary is tomorrow and at this point everyone is so entrenched into their candidate that the chance of me being able to persuade anybody else is zilch. So all I will say is vote your conscious  and be ready to live with that derision. For whatever it's worth I hope that the supporters of whoever wins are right about their guy, because God help us all if anybody who supports the eventual victor at this point are wrong.

So it remains to be seen what part of history we are getting ready to rhyme with, but I have less and less confidence in the ability of most people to act rationally in all but the shortest possible terms. Often this is profoundly irrational any kind of long term.

Some people are convinced that we are on the cusp of revolution into either a Marxist or a Timocratic utopia, but as the father of small children I can't wish for the day to be hastened. I want them to be both free and happy instead of having sacrifice all hope of either for their descendants to have a chance at regaining what so many of us have taken for granted even when we've tried not to. The great tragedy that seems currently laid out for us and our offspring is that we haven't had freedom and prosperity taken from us, we've been convinced that it's worthless and needs to be thrown in the trash.

So now that I've said my peace, hopefully without seeming to directly point fingers. I'm going to the polls tomorrow, so that I can at least say to my children where I stood when the counting came. If the person I vote for turns out to be a weasel, then I will tell them that and apologize for my part in the collective stupidity. If the person I vote for turns out be someone who at least took a mop bucket if not a river to the Agean Stables, I will tell them that we haven't bee able to undo a century of Marxist melding but that we've made a start. If someone else wins and is wonderful, then I will tell them honestly that I am pleasantly surprised to be wrong but didn't support them. And if someone else wins and is the last nail in the coffin of this noble experiment in how long can me be their own masters, then I will at least be able to let them without lying that I voted against them.

4 comments:

  1. VOTE STAY-PUFT! He won't hurt us... much.

    --Genericviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That didn't work in Ghostbusters.

      Delete
  2. At this point i've decided not to vote for the lesser evil. I'm voting for Cthulhu; the greatest evil.

    Exile1981

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just have to say WTFtaughhgan.

      Delete